At the RRC coaches’ presentation to rowers last Sunday, plans for the club’s sprint season campaign were revealed!
As detailed at the meeting, if your goal is to represent RRC at the upcoming Vic State Championships (Lake Wendouree, 1-2 March, with almost all RRC events likely to be on the Sunday), you must now nominate for the event or events in which you want to represent the club.
How you do this is set out below.
In nominating for an event, you need to keep the following in mind:
Nomination for Crews
Crews will be selected to fill priority boats. Each rower is open for selection in one priority boat, and for a second event on the day. The second event will ideally be in the alternate bracket to their priority event.
To nominate for a boat, rowers need to be available to do:
- three weekly training sessions at the time the coach of that boat is available (details below)
- the weekly ergo set by the coach
- the Wendouree/Ballarat regatta on Sunday 9 February
- the club’s sprint training camp on the weekend of 15/16 February (planned to be at Lake Wendouree – TBC)
The following events will have priority boats. This list divides the boats into the likely preset brackets at States and sets out the assigned coach and planned training times.
With all crews likely to be on the water on a Sunday morning, Simon Crunden has very kindly to be working with the other coaches and crews out that morning (subject to his availability!), so that we can all benefit from his significant experience as a coach and high level rower.
Men’s squad please note: although men’s crews are set out below for completeness, this time the men’s coaches will be forming crews according primarily to regatta availability. Men’s squad members should speak with Rachael and Lindsey directly.
FC8+ [Simon: Thu AM, Tom: Sun AM + one uncoached session time TBC]
FC4X+ [Barry: Tue AM, Thu AM, Sun AM]
FC1X [Barry: as above]
FC2X [Barry: as above]
FD2X [Barry: as above]
FC4+ [Derek: Tue PM, Thu PM, Sun AM]
FD8+ [Derek: as above]
FD4+ [Justin: Tue PM, Thu PM, Sun AM]
FD4X+ [Dave M: times TBC]
The club will be following the same process to select crews for the NSW State Grade Championships (SIRC, Penrith NSW, 12-13 April) after Vic States has been held.
Rowers should email their priority boat/s to email@example.com – if you have already emailed your current coach, please forward your nomination to this email address as well.
Nominations should be sent in ASAP and will be accepted until midnight this Friday 24 January.
Rowers can nominate for a specific boat (eg. “the FC8+” or “the FD4X+ or else I’ll row or sub where I’m needed”), or a specific class if they wish (eg. “any eight” or “any sculling boat except the single”). If you are unsure what to nominate for, speak to your current coach or to me.
The coaching group will then meet to review all nominations and make the crew selections. The club’s published selection criteria are:
- Commitment to the training set by the coach and to the specified event (i.e. to being there, and to giving what the event will ask of the rower)
- Attendance at training and doing the ergos/land training required by the coach (even if self-reported)
- Eligibility for the event (e.g. ROMS score, weight, age)
- Fitness, skill and ability to compete in the event
- Crew ‘fit’ as assessed by the coach
and then the crew is still subject to
- the availability of boats/oars/coxes/coach(es) for training and the event
- the event presets of the regatta
I look forward to your nominations.