About Richmond

Established in 1863, Richmond Rowing Club is the fourth oldest continuously operating rowing club in the world. Throughout its history Richmond has produced world-class athletes and won numerous state and national championships.

Richmond’s history through the decades

1863 – 1899

1863

17th June. Resolved at a meeting of gentlemen in Richmond “That a Club be formed to be denominated the Richmond Rowing Club.”

22nd July. A clause No. 12 added to the Constitution… “That no Club boat be allowed out on Sunday.”

4th August. First Annual General Meeting of the Club held.

21st November. It was moved the Club colours be Blue & Gold. Motion accepted and colours to be adopted from 1/7/1864.

1865

A Club Gig the “Richmond” was sold to Wahgunyah Rowing Club for £38.0.0 in order to repay loans made to the Club by members.

1871

1st November. Resolved that a branch of the Richmond Rowing Club be established in Melbourne and that accommodation be arranged with either Greenland or Salter.

1900-1909

1900

Club heavily in debt and the Club Shed and contents are seized by a creditor, a boat builder.

1903

Club activity is re-commenced and Club takes possession of the skittle alley at the Sir Henry Barkly Hotel, Punt Road, Richmond.

BoathouseSkittle Alley 1903

1908

Club moves to Greenlands Boat Shed, Princes Bridge – the present site of Melbourne Grammar Boat Shed.

1910-1919

1912

Richmond member R.T. Jenkin is a member of winning Australian Champion Eight (now Kings Cup) rowed in Perth.

1916

Club moves to the Edwards Boat Shed on the Club’s present site.

1919

Jim Barton wins Henley Silver Sculls and the Victorian Champion Sculls

1920-1929

1920

Jim Barton wins Henley Silver Sculls and the Victorian Champion Sculls

1923

Jim Barton wins Henley Silver Sculls and the Victorian Champion Sculls

1924

Jim Barton wins Henley Silver Sculls, the Victorian Champion Sculls and the Australian Champion Sculls.

1925

Jim Barton wins the Victorian ¼ mile Sprint Championship Sculls

1926

The Boat Shed destroyed by fire on October 26th. All records, trophies and pictures are lost.

1928

Richmond wins its first Junior Premiership.

The Club takes possession of its new Clubhouse built by the Melbourne City Council. The Club’s contribution to the cost of construction is £750.0.0.

1929

A fire destroys the top floor of the Boat Shed which is occupied by W H Jerram & Son, boat builders. RRC occupies the ground floor and escapes with minimal damage to equipment.

1930-1939

1930

Permission is sought to extend the Club rooms on the Princes Bridge side to enlarge the changing room accommodation. Melbourne City Council refused to approve the Application.

1931

Club wins its first State Champion Eight.

Jim Barton wins the Victorian 1 Mile Champion Sculls.

1932

Club wins its first State Champion Fours.

Three Richmond members in the winning Victorian Kings Cup crew – Mal Gardner, Lochie Thompson and Ben Thompson.

Jim Baird is declared the first winner of the Mal Scott Memorial.

1933

Winners of Victorian Senior Premiership.

Winners of Junior Eight Championship.

Winners of Henley Gran Challenge Cup.

1934

Winners of Victorian Junior Premiership.

1935

Winners of Victorian Junior Premiership.

Winners of Junior Eight Championship.

1936

Winners of Victorian Junior Premiership.

Winners of Victorian Senior Premiership.

Winners of Junior Four Championship.

Winners of Junior Eight Championship.

1939

Wally Lambert – Stroke of Victorian Kings Cup Eight.

1940-1949

1946

Wally Lambert – Stroke off winning Victorian Kings Cup Eight.

1947

Wally Lambert – Again Stroke off winning Victorian Kings Cup Eight.

1948

Wally Lambert is the first Richmond member to be selected in an Olympic squad to represent Australia at the London Olympic Games. Rows stroke in the Australian Four.

1949

The RRC Ladies Committee decides to amalgamate with the Men’s Social Committee until it receives greater support to allow it to function as an independent body.

1950-1959

1950

 Wally Lambert (Richmond) and Jack Webster (South Melbourne) win the coxswainless pairs at the New Zealand Empire (Commonwealth) Games. Their coach was Lochie Thompson, another Richmond member.

1951

Club wins Henley Founders Challenge Cup for Junior Eights.

1953/1954

Don Dudgeon wins Victorian Sculling Championship and the 2000 metres Sculling Championship.

1954/1955

Don Dudgeon wins Victorian Sculling Championship

1955/1956

Don Dudgeon wins Victorian Sculling Championship

1956/1957

Don Dudgeon wins Victorian Sculling Championship, 2000 metre Sculling Championship and the Henley Silver Sculls.

1957/1958

Don Dudgeon wins Victorian Sculling Championship

1959

Winners of Victorian Junior Premiership.

1960-1969

1961

Club wins Victorian Sprint Pairs Championship at Bendigo

  • Bow – Lindsay Patullo
  • Stroke – Eric Britton
  • Cox – Garry Johnson
  • Coach – Mal Gardner

1967

Chris Roberts wins the Victorian Lightweight Sculling Championship.

1970-1979

1970

23rd March – Clubhouse destroyed by fire.

1973

23rd June – the present Clubhouse was officially opened and consecrated as the Richmond Rowing Club Peace Memorial Clubhouse.

1974

The first sliding boat racks for a Melbourne based rowing club are designed and manufactured by Don Dudgeon and installed by Don and a dedicated team of helpers.

1975

Winners of Victorian Junior Premiership.

1977

17th October – First women admitted as members – Helen Hendley & Gwenda Lindgren followed on 9th November by Barbara Sawyer.

1978

The passing of Win Podmore.

1980-1989

1980

The final repayment is made on the $15,000.00 borrowed by the Club to raise additional funds to meet the $62,000.00 needed for the re-construction of the Club House after the fire of 1970.

1984

Club is incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act.

Coxswain member – Sue Lee – becomes Richmond’s second ever Olympian after selection for the Los Angeles Olympics and wins a bronze medal as cox of the Women’s Lightweight Four.

1985

Methodist Ladies College becomes a tenant in the Clubhouse.

Successes for Don Dudgeon:

  • FISA World Veteran Championships
  • 1st in “E” Double Scull
  • 2nd in “E” Single Scull
  • Inaugural World Masters Games
  • 3rd in “E” Double Scull
  • 1st in “E” Quad Scull

Club loses five boats in a car and trailer fire returning from the Christmas Regattas.

1986-1987

Caroline Burge wins Victorian Senior “B” Champion Scull and the Australian Lightweight Senior “B” Champion Scull.

The passing of Ron March Senior.

1989

Simon Crunden is declared the winner of the Mal Scott Memorial in his first year as a rower.

1990-1999

1990

Discussions are commenced with Methodist Ladies College regarding possible expansion and improvement of the Club House.

1991

Don Dudgeon retires from Office after 40 years’ service.

1997

Men’s Novice 8 – first at Head of the Yarra.

2000-2009

RRC awarded Rowing Australia’s Club of the Year

First Official RRC Regatta held in 80 years.

2002

Passing of Bill Parkinson.

2003

Two State Titles won at Victorian State Championships.

2004

Melbourne City Council gives in principle support to Boat House Extension and re-development.

Five State Titles won at Victorian State Championships.

2010-Present

2010

One State Title won at New South Wales State Championships.

Three State Titles won at Victorian Masters Championships.

Three National Titles won at National Masters Championships.

2012

The passing of Don Dudgeon.